More and more people have smartphones and tablets and that number is only going to continue to grow. With the growth of 4G and near 4G connectivity, mobile data is now as fast as many home broadband connections. As more and more people get access to fast data connections, it’s inevitable that they’ll start to consume more video on their mobiles whilst on the move. Here’s some interesting stats on the unstoppable rise of mobile video:
1. Mobile phones will overtake PCs as the most common web access device worldwide by the end of 2013 (Gartner).
2. In April 2013, 181.9 million Americans watched 38.8 billion online content videos (ComScore).
3. There will be over 73 million mobile video viewers in 2013 (Clickz). Overall online video users are expected to double to 1.5 billion in 2016. (Cisco).
4. Online video now accounts for 50 percent of all mobile traffic and up to 69 percent of traffic on certain networks. (Bytemobile Mobile Analytics Report).
5. Mobile and tablet shoppers are three times as likely to view a video as laptop or desktop users. (Invodo).
6. Mobile video ads that include social media buttons drive 36 percent higher engagement. (Rhythm NewMedia).
7. 92 percent of mobile video viewers share videos with others. (Invodo).
8. More than 1 billion unique users visit YouTube each month, spending more than 4 billion hours watching videos (YouTube).
9. Branded video content reaches nearly half (46%) of all internet users in the UK. More than half of these people (54%) go on to click though to the brand’s website (Econsultancy).
10. 63% of digital video screening on mobiles does not happen on-the-go, but rather at home (IAB)